Animal Factory Module Pit Viper
Full-blooded distortion – Pit Viper is a solid state overdrive for hard-boiled musicians. The circuit can generate clean, beefy signal boosts. However, its true strengths lie in aggressively screaming distortions with a tangible character. – This is not a module for wimps!
Although the Pit Viper has a raw look, the module was built with much love for detail. The OP amp (TLC2272) can be exchanged for other models. Unused soldering points on the circuit board allow musicians who are dissatisfied with the rather erratic behavior of the viper to replace the hand-rolled optocouplers with precision components. – Please note: Such modifications void the warranty!
Pit Viper comes equipped with the following control elements:
- Toxicity: Gain potentiometer – Please turn up for heavy distortion.
- Hiss: Tone knob – Turn clockwise to cut the treble.
- Venom: Volume potentiometer
- Fear: Three-stage soft clipping switch – Activates normal soft clipping or a more tube-like version with less treble.
- Malice: Three-stage hard clipping switch – Activates beefy hard clipping or a spongier version with less treble.
- Blend: Dry / Wet potentiometer
- Bite: CV input plus attenuator to cut the high frequency range. Without a cable plugged in, the knob can be used for adjusting the treble manually.
- Saturation: CV input plus attenuator and on/off switch to influence gain and saturation.
- Filter: CV input plus attenuator and on/off switch to control the Viper’s VCF circuit. Via a jumper on the circuit board, users can choose between several filter types:
- Passive clipped low pass
- Unbuffered high pass
- Buffered high pass
- Buffered low pass
Furthermore, there is a trim potentiometer on the circuit board, which can be used to adjust the gain.
In the new version there are additionally two 3-way switches that extend the functionality:
The MODE switch sets the minimum gain of the pedal, allowing for a greater clean range - should you want it. The MIDS switch switches between the original low-cut response to a full range and deep bass response, making it useful for bass guitars, synths and drum machines with a strong sub. The objective is true tonal flexibility that helps you stand out, loud and proud, on whatever source you run through the pedal.
In a drastic shift from our beginnings, we've marked the controls with more functional labels so you don't have to read the manual (but it helps if you do!). Last but not least, the 2019 revision of Pit Viper sports a laser etched black finish for improved readability with a hypnotic new design by Aniruddh Mehta.
Using the HARD and SOFT switches in tandem with the control knobs allows you to dial in varied diode clipping and compression textures. What's more, the Pit Viper stacks superbly with other overdrives and sounds equally good on solid-state or tube amps.
Power consumption: 35mA at +12 V and 25mA at -12 V
Alex4 Distribution GmbH
Lessingstr. 98, 100 – Haus 11
Tel +49(0)30 - 61 65 100 40
Fax +49(0)30 - 61 65 100 49